Lafayette Cemetery No. 1
Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 is the sacred resting place
of thousands of former citizens of New Orleans.
It is a small, family cemetery laid out in four quadrants.
Located in uptown New Orleans,
it has a footprint encompassing just one city block,
bordered by Washington Ave., Prytania St.,
Sixth St., and Coliseum St.
Lafayette No. 1 was dedicated in 1833 as the cemetery for the town of Lafayette
and later annexed with that town into the City of New Orleans in 1852.
In 1972, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Lafayette No. 1 is still in active use by families owning plots and tombs within it.
Families have buried loved ones and visited their graves in this cemetery
for generations and continue to do so to this day.